10/1/09

100 figures assignment










This past weekend was DB Dowd's famous 100 figures assignment. Basically we had one weekend to produce 100 figure drawings, at least 11" x 14". It was crazy! Some of my buddies and I were in the studio until 6 am, but we got the drawings done. It was a really useful assignment in learning a bit about your work and finding some surprises in it. I thought I'd post some of the ones I liked out of the 100.

NOTE: some of these but not all of them are from photo reference. There's a great website called characterdesigns.com that has a lot of models to browse through. Definitely worth it for figure practice! I also used some refs from the blog mentioned in the below post. I thought it would be useful to see what I could make up from my head versus what I drew from reference or from life.

10 comments:

Bob Flynn said...

Looks like you managed to get a good amount of variety. Even though it seems very different from your norm, I really like the black/inky one (sunglasses). Very moody... interesting blobs and shapes that come together. Nice work, Louise!

C. A. Stavridis said...

I recognize that last pose:

http://characterdesigns.com/bandaid/content/photosets/3488/3512/Photoset_035_028.jpg

Louise Smythe said...

yeah i love that website - it's really great for figure reference :)

RAWLS said...

Really nice work Louise!

De Andrea Nichols said...

Heyyyy!!! (long time since I've been on here, huh?)

I really like your sketches. They form a very diverse collection- really neat selections you've chosen. I'll be sure to stop by more often. Keep it up- you're awesome!

Chelsea Tull said...

Wow! The first and last one are particularly awesome! Love it.

Louise Smythe said...

thanks! the first one is my favorite hehe

Alexis said...

holy. mofo. what an AMAZING assignment. i thinki might have to assign it to myself during the winter break. though its more fun to get it officially signed, the deadline makes it exciting! how finished and "correct" did the finals have to be? were gesture drawings accepted or did they have to be more fleshed out? just curious :B

i really dig the variety here, i guess after about 20 or so you start to change things around out of necessity.

Louise Smythe said...

it was pretty open ended as far as the variety of finished vs non-finished goes. we were encouraged to try lots of different approaches (and i had a lot of gestures in there to save time haha)

Kreeslak said...

I love the watercolor and the last bluepencil one! great figures!