2/20/09

Color workshop



Those are some color chips I made for a color workshop this week. John Hendrix and Doug Dowd worked with us on color theory. We did a fun project where me made "ugly" colors and "pretty colors" and then used them to color logos. Doug has a great post on color at his blog.

This all got me thinking about animation and how well color is used - I forgot about this Fantasia 2000 animation to Rhapsody in Blue - REALLY amazing use of limited color. Check it out here





I've also gotten nearly obsessed with UPA cartoons from the 50s. They use color really well. Doug has a frame from Gerald McBoing Boing in the post. In addition to great color use, they are hilarious stories. This is a great one.



I'll post some art soon. Everything is very busy lately!

4 comments:

John Hendrix said...

Sound like you have great instructors!

Louise Smythe said...

at the risk of sounding like a brown-noser, i sure do!

Bob Flynn said...

Color is so key to great illustration...sounds like your studying and learning from the best!

Louise Smythe said...

thanks, bob!